Breakfast Enchilada Stackers

I’ve always loved Mexican/Tex-Mex food, but of course now that I live in Texas my intake of it has skyrocketed. We’re not going to talk about how much I ate when I was pregnant. At least I can blame that on the baby that was growing inside me. Not that my cravings for it have let up one bit!

I missed the Daring Cooks’ challenge last month so it was good to hop to it again.

Our hosts this month, Barbara of Barbara Bakes and Bunnee of Anna+Food have chosen a delicious Stacked Green Chile & Grilled Chicken Enchilada recipe in celebration of Cinco de Mayo! The recipe, featuring a homemade enchilada sauce was found on www.finecooking.com and written by Robb Walsh.

Even though it wasn’t too much of a challenge for me, I still appreciate it when our recipe is something I already know I love! Since we were able to do whatever kind we wanted, as long as we made an enchilada sauce, I decided to make a breakfast version. I love breakfast, so it was basically a no-brainer, and a win for everyone involved.

Breakfast Enchilada Stackers pic on Stetted

The enchilada sauce is insanely simple. I keep diced Hatch peppers, roasted last summer, on hand in the freezer. I used up my last three cubes, about 3 ounces, to make this sauce. The only other things you need for it is vegetable broth, flour, salt, and pepper. Seriously. Combined with tortillas, farm eggs, bacon, and raw milk cheddar cheese, it makes for a nice change-up from the standard breakfast taco. (Don’t worry, I still love you, breakfast taco!)

Now, I know the traditional enchilada uses corn tortillas, but I loved the way these flour rounds crisped up. You can easily swap in corn tortillas, if you prefer, though at that point you might as well just make migas!

Breakfast Enchilada Stackers

Ingredients

• 3 or 4 ounces diced roasted Hatch peppers
  • 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 3 slices bacon
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 flour tortillas

Instructions

1. In a saucepan, heat peppers until starting to sizzle a little, then stir in flour until all mixed in. Slowly stir in broth. Heat on medium low, stirring occasionally, while preparing the rest.
  2. Cook the bacon in a medium frying pan until crispy. Remove to paper-towel lined plate to cool, then crumble.
  3. Using a round cutter, cut out 4 circles from each tortilla. Fry the tortillas quickly in the bacon fat (less than a minute for both sides should be enough). Put in microwave to keep warm.
  4. In a separate pan, scramble the eggs. Or cook those in the bacon fat too. Why the heck not?
  5. To assemble
  6. Spoon a small amount of the sauce onto a plate. Place one tortilla in the center. Add egg and cheese, then another tortilla. Put a tiny bit of sauce on top of tortilla, then place crispy bacon pieces on that. (The sauce will help keep the bacon in place.) Add another tortilla and more egg, and cheese. Top with a final tortilla, spoon extra sauce on, and add more cheese.
  7. Optionally, you can just mix the sauce, eggs, bacon, and cheese together and serve the tortillas on the side as the yummiest chip scoops ever.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

, , ,

13 Responses to Breakfast Enchilada Stackers

1. jo May 14, 2010 at 7:40 am #

Great job on your challenge and your stacked enchiladas look absolutely delicious. Won’t mind having some for my breakfast tomorrow.

2. ap269 May 14, 2010 at 9:42 am #

Enchiladas with scrambled eggs – that sounds like a combination my family would enjoy, too. Going to bookmark your recipe to try it out soon! Good job on the challenge!

3. Steph May 14, 2010 at 10:31 am #

Breakfast enchiladas sound AMAZING!! I’m going to have to try that soon… I can’t believe I had never explored all of the enchilada-type options before now. I think I just realized how much I love corn tortillas.

The pics look gorgeous, too!

4. Barbara Bakes May 14, 2010 at 12:02 pm #

I think a breakfast version is brilliant. It looks so delicious. Thanks for cooking with us.

5. Mary May 14, 2010 at 4:29 pm #

Your breakfast enchiladas look great! I love any kind of eggs+tortillas+tomatillo sauce, so I know this would be a hit.

6. Audax Artifex May 16, 2010 at 12:48 am #

I have to admit that breakfast stack looks so delicious and the tortillas look extra special. Well done on this challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia

7. tariqata May 16, 2010 at 9:15 am #

Replacing the chicken with eggs and bacon is a great idea! Eggs and tomatillo salsa go *so* well together!

8. Robert May 17, 2010 at 12:16 am #

I did a riff on Huevos Rancheros that really hit the spot. I also ended up making scrambled eggs with chorizo twice this month.

The flavors just really lend themselves to a wonderful breakfast. Yours sound delicious and look amazing.

9. Apu May 17, 2010 at 10:00 am #

These look delicious!!

10. Denise@There's a Newf in My Soup! May 17, 2010 at 1:59 pm #

Megan,
    Great meeting you at CampBlogAway this past weekend! Nice take on this Challenge with your breakfast version, and I love your mini flour tortillas.

11. Chefdruck (Vanessa) May 17, 2010 at 10:12 pm #

Megan,
    These enchiladas are absolutely beautiful! I love Mexican in the morning, but I never would try it at home. Your post may just give me the courage I need to breathe new life into brunch this weekend! So great to meet you at camp. I’m looking forward to reading your blog and getting to know you virtually.

Vanessa

12. Marisa May 19, 2010 at 5:11 am #

Such an innovative take on this month’s challenge. Hats off to you!

1. Tweets that mention Breakfast Enchilada Stackers | stetted -- Topsy.com - May 14, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Megan Myers. Megan Myers said: {New Post} Breakfast Enchilada Stackers http://bit.ly/cevAsK [...]