Vanilla Lemonade

A while back we had a local food blogger potluck, and of course all the food was amazing. One of the things I really liked was a Meyer lemonade with vanilla. I have a stash of vanilla beans in my cupboard that I’m always wondering what to do with. Yes, a stash. If you’re still buying pricey one-off vanilla beans at the grocery store, get thee to eBay. I got a quarter pound of Tahitian vanilla beans for under 10 bucks. And a quarter pound is a dang good amount of vanilla.

With summer kicked off, I recreated the lemonade. This is my perfect lemonade – the stuff they sell in restaurants is usually too tart for me. Feel free to adjust the sugar levels to your liking, however.

Vanilla Lemonade

1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 vanilla bean, split
8 lemons (yielding 1 cup juice)
Cold water to fill pitcher

In a small saucepan, bring water, sugar, and vanilla bean to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Press vanilla bean in order to let caviar escape. Cover and let cool.
Juice lemons, and pour into 2-quart pitcher. Add sugar mixture (including vanilla bean), then fill pitcher with cold water and stir to mix. Chill until ready to serve.
If your lemonade tastes slightly bitter, add a tiny pinch of salt to bring out the other flavors.

, , ,

11 Responses to Vanilla Lemonade

1. Angela S June 3, 2010 at 8:57 am #

This sounds delish! I can’t wait to try it.

2. Isabelle June 3, 2010 at 9:47 am #

Sounds amazing! I made a marmalade a couple of months ago with Meyer lemons and vanilla beans… it’s definitely an amazing combination.
    (PS – thanks for the eBay tip! I buy my vanilla at Costco, but it’s still pretty expensive by comparison to the deal you got.)

3. Lizliterarius June 17, 2010 at 5:04 pm #

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the ebay mention!!

I’ve been hunting for vanilla beans everywhere lately and just couldn’t stomach the prices being asked! $12.49 for a _single_ bean pod? Are they crazy? Especially since I want to use one to flavor my hair rinse; I just couldn’t pay that much the way things are right now. Ebay, via You, to the rescue! You made my day. :)

And I can’t wait to try that lemonade, too! Yum.

You’re so welcome! I can’t remember who first told me about vanilla on eBay but I am so so thankful!

4. djreamer June 17, 2010 at 9:59 pm #

Though this sounds divine, i’m afraid it isnt that unique…. my carribean mother has been making this for DECADES along with several carribean restaurants that sell freshly squuezed lemon/lime juices.. only difference is that instead of using vanilla beans, we simply add a touch of PURE vanilla extract..funny how i never thought of it as “vanilla lemonade”. lol. it was always just my mother’s special touch :)

@djreamer
    I definitely didn’t think this was unique (aside from “unique” being an absolute modifier) as I stated that I re-created it from a time I had it elsewhere! It’s still rather uncommon in the U.S. however, considering many people get their “lemonade” from a powdered mix. Thanks for your comment!

5. Synnove June 13, 2011 at 7:32 am #

How long would this stay in the fridge without starting to taste funky? I’d like to make it ahead of time for a party.

Probably a couple days? It never lasts long around here so I don’t really know.

6. softbank アイフォン September 17, 2013 at 8:10 pm #

チャンピオン ポロ

1. Can you mix fragrance oils with essential oils in candle-making? - June 3, 2010

[...] Vanilla Lemonade | stetted [...]

2. Signs of Summer « a glass of milk - June 28, 2010

[...] the intriguing flavor combinations list is this vanilla lemonade.  I’ve been on a homemade lemonade kick, and while I’m drawn to the refreshing taste [...]