Fig Onion Tart

Trying to keep local makes certain things happen to me. A couple weeks ago, this included freaking out over the sight of fresh figs at the market.

You see, I never ate a fig until last fall. My taste memory of figs were, of course, Fig Newtons. Ugh. (I was an Apple Newton girl.) But then I visited the Blue Dahlia, had a sandwich with fig, and was sold.

Fresh Figs

I also had a tub of lovely mascarpone that I had grabbed at Antonelli’s, so for a birthday party I whipped up some fig onion tart.

Fig Onion Tart

1 red onion, sliced into thin slivers
Balsamic vinegar
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
4 oz mascarpone cheese
3 or 4 fresh figs
1 egg, beaten

In a small saucepan, cook down the onion with a few splashes of balsamic until soft and caramelized. (This will take a while.) Preheat oven to 400. Unfold puff pastry and roll out, if desired – but you can just use it as is. Prick all over with a fork. Spread the mascarpone cheese on, leaving about a half inch border all around. Scatter the onions across the tart, and top with slices of fig. Using a pastry brush, apply the beaten egg to the border.

Cook for about 30 minutes, until the edges are puffed and brown.

Fig Onion Tart

, , ,

13 Responses to Fig Onion Tart

1. sippitysup June 30, 2010 at 2:40 pm #

I don’t know which I like better caramelized onions ot figs… oh wait! Is there mascarpone too? What’s aboy to do? GREG

2. merry jennifer June 30, 2010 at 3:51 pm #

I am so totally with you on the fig issue. My first experience was sometime last year – in a salad, I think. I’ve still never cooked with them. This tart looks FABULOUS. If you lived close, I think I’d invite myself over for lunch. :)

3. Joy June 30, 2010 at 10:40 pm #

I would have freaked out too if I found fresh figs. I can’t seem to find the anywhere. I had it a couple years back with brie and I have been hooked sinced. Your tart looks just lovely.

4. CC Recipe July 1, 2010 at 7:47 am #

This tart looks fabulous!

5. melissa July 1, 2010 at 2:20 pm #

I love figs so much I almost never cook with them. The reason is, I usually eat them before I even get them home from the market.

^_^

I just found out that my next door neighbor’s parents have a really productive fig tree with more figs than they can eat, and they’d be willing to share with me. :D

6. Rachel @ boots in the oven July 1, 2010 at 3:56 pm #

Beautiful! There is nothing better than fresh local figs… unless you make them into a tart! That looks just right with a big tangle of salad greens for dinner.

7. Lick My Spoon July 1, 2010 at 8:25 pm #

Caramelized onions and figs?! Delicious! I will need to keep my eyes peeled for some figs and come back to this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

8. the cosmic cowgirl July 3, 2010 at 10:15 am #

oh my–this looks delicious! i planted 2 fig trees last year because of my fig addiction. i must look for figs at the market until they start producing!

So far the only farm I’ve seen with figs is Lightsey, but I’m sure there will be more once we get into the season!

9. Kim at Rustic Garden Bistro July 6, 2010 at 8:05 am #

We heart the people who lived in our house before us. They left us a nice big fig tree down by the front driveway. Our neighbors tell us it’s the best fig tree in town.

When we get some figs later this year, I’ll have to try this recipe; you made it look delicious!

[K]

10. Brian @ A Thought For Food July 8, 2010 at 8:30 pm #

I really need to get my hands on some figs… This recipe has me craving them now! So glad I stopped by to check out your site!

11. Emily July 17, 2010 at 2:52 pm #

I just made this for brunch this morning (using Smitten Kitchen’s galette dough as the crust) and it was AMAZING. We had a bumper crop of figs this season and this was the perfect use for the final handfuls fresh from the tree.

12. Gloria August 7, 2010 at 9:49 am #

Figs are only just ripening in my vicinity and for the second year running it seems like a bumper crop. Once you let it be known you are seeking things it is amazing how those things turn up. Last year I discovered someone with a tree load of figs having never had access to any before, except shop bought. This year I know of 5 trees to plunder all heaving with fruit. Can’t wait to make your recipe. It sounds perfect.