Meyer lemon meringue pie comes together easily for a perfectly tart dessert.
Y’all. I feel like I’m one of the last ones to be let in on this secret. The secret that, despite appearances, lemon meringue pie is crazy easy to make.
Maybe it’s that towering, fluffy meringue that had always put me off. Having not grown up in the South, meringue pies were reserved for places like Bakers’ Square, which churned out so many pies that meringue just was a logical menu option. Now that I’ve made meringue pie, I feel like I’ve been cheated out of years of the tart-fluff combination. Believe me, I’m going to be more than making up for it this summer.
After all, lemon meringue pie just feels like one of those ultimate warm-weather desserts, doesn’t it? Pie filling the color of sunshine topped off by a whipped cloud is the ideal way to end a day at the pool, if you ask me. Plus, because it looks so fancy it can pull duty for your warm-weather parties. Maybe for an event like a bridal shower, even.
Yep, I made this Meyer lemon meringue pie to help celebrate the upcoming wedding of Stephie from Stephie Cooks. Happy shower, Stephie!
When I met Stephie at BlogHer Food in Miami I knew right away we would hit it off. Now, knowing that she chose to have a rustic wedding reception with BBQ and pie, there’s no way we wouldn’t be friends. Hello, wedding pie! I just know this pie would have a happy home on her reception dessert table.
I decided to use Meyer lemons for my pie because I love their slightly sweet taste. Plus they are so fragrant that I sometimes think they are more lemon than a standard lemon!
The pie comes together really quickly, and to make things even easier (and provide a nice flavor contrast) I made a crumb crust using gingersnaps. Gingersnaps seem to be getting hard to find these days, so if you don’t have them in your store (or don’t want to make your own), use graham crackers and add a bit of grated fresh ginger. It adds a great kick!
- 1 3/4 cups crushed gingersnap cookies
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/3 cups plus 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 4 eggs, separated
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together gingersnaps, melted butter, and 1/4 cup granulated sugar until well combined. Press mixture into a 9-inch pie plate, making sure to keep the crust even, using the bottom of a measuring cup or glass to press down.
- Bake crust for 10 minutes, then set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, salt, water, and lemon juice and cook until dissolved.
- Beat egg yolks in a small bowl, then slowly whisk in 1/4 cup of the warm sugar mixture to temper the eggs. Once combined, slowly whisk egg mixture into the saucepan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for about 5 minutes, whisking constantly, until mixture is thick and coats the back of a spoon. Pour filling into prepared crust.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat egg whites until frothy. Turn mixer to high and pour in remaining 1/3 cup of sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon meringue onto pie filling, spreading to the edges of the crust to prevent shrinkage. Return the pie to the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, until meringue is lightly browned.
- Let cool completely before serving.
Check out the rest of the recipes for Stephie’s shower!
The Cooking Actress – Chocolate Shoofly Pie with Pecan Whole Wheat Crust
Girl Versus Dough – Mini Meyer Lemon Coconut Scones
Sarcastic Cooking – Mini Buffalo Blue Cheese Chicken Pot Pies
The Roasted Root – Sweet Potato Rounds with Guacamole and Bacon
A Cedar Spoon – Strawberry Mint Mascarpone Crostini with Lemon Honey Drizzle
Very Culinary – White Chocolate Raspberry Parfaits
Rachel Cooks – Broccoli and Bacon Beer Cheese Dip
Bluebonnet Baker – Maple Bourbon Balls
Nutmeg Nanny – Broccoli Bacon Salad
Laura’s Mess – Spiced Apple and Buttermilk Cake
Seaweed and Sassafras – Herb and Cheese Scones
Stetted – Meyer Lemon Meringue Pie
All Day I Dream About Food – Chocolate Fudge Crumb Bars
Dessert for Two – Mini Lemon Cakes
Foodie with Family – Smoked Salmon Cucumber Pizza
For more sweet inspiration, check out my Cake and Pie board on Pinterest!