Excellent hot or cold, these peanut soba noodles with bok choy are an easy dinner or lunch.
You know how when you move, you try to eat everything in your house so you don’t need to pack it or throw it away? That’s sort of how this recipe came into being.
It’s also because I was basically craving everything peanut after my peanut farm tour and knew the situation couldn’t simply be remedied with a spoon and jar of PB. Sometimes cravings mean making a real meal, not desserts!
One of my favorite things is soba noodle salads, so it was pretty easy to jump in with this recipe. Soba noodles are great because they cook up really easily and taste delicious hot or cold. They’re also gluten free, as buckwheat is not actually a wheat, so this is a great recipe for all diets except those with peanut allergies. Sorry guys!
I had baby bok choy on hand because it tempted me at the grocery store. Bok choy is in the cabbage family, so if you like cabbage or Brussels sprouts you likely enjoy bok choy. Baby bok choy is a bit milder in flavor and is incredibly easy to prepare, which makes it perfect for a quick recipe like this one.
All you need to do is whisk up the dressing, cook the noodles, and steam-fry the bok choy. I cut up some extra veggies while the bok choy was cooking. You can add other vegetables too, like cucumber or thinly sliced red pepper. I kept this recipe vegetarian, but you could add cooked diced chicken or tofu, or even chickpeas. Soba noodle dishes are really customizable, so don’t feel limited by the recipe!
If you don’t want heat in your dish, you can skip the addition of chiles and hot sauce. It’s great without them, and more family friendly! Have hot sauce on the side for those who like it. If you like spicy peanut dishes, try my marinated peanut butter beef satay.
Don’t forget the extra peanuts!
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon sriracha or Thai chili sauce, optional
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 bundles soba noodles
- 10 baby bok choy
- 3/4 cup matchstick carrots
- 2 scallions, diced
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- In a large bowl, whisk together broth, peanut butter, soy sauce, honey, garlic, ginger, and sriracha and red pepper flakes, if using.
- Cook soba noodles in boiling water for about 4 minutes. Drain.
- Slice baby bok choy in half lengthwise. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray. Place bok choy cut-side down and cook for 2-3 minutes with a lid on.
- Add noodles, bok choy, carrots, and scallions to the bowl with the sauce and toss to coat.
- Divide among four bowls and top with peanuts.