Summer Fruit Eggrolls

I’ll admit it – as soon as I heard that Whole Foods was doing a recipe contest based on cherries and that organic sweet cherries were going to be on sale, my mind started working overtime trying to come up with a recipe to fit the parameters of the contest.

No easy feat. The recipe had to be kid-friendly and have only seven ingredients (three of which had to be fruits/vegetables). Not to mention that coming up with an original recipe these days is rather hard. However, in my time cooking for my son, I’ve learned a few things about what kids like. Fruit is always a hit, of course. Stuff that you can eat with your hands makes mealtime fun. And if you can dip your food, more’s the better.

Cherry Eggrolls

Almost immediately I hit upon fruit eggrolls. Making eggrolls at home is incredibly simple, and creating a fruit-filled version couldn’t be simpler. They are like pie for the pie-crust phobic handheld food fiends. A simple dipping sauce of yogurt and honey adds some healthful sweetness as well as a cool, creamy contrast to the warm and crunchy eggrolls. Keeping health in mind, these took a bit of testing due to my desire to bake instead of fry. It helps that I have a small helper eager to try out my concoctions and assist where he can. He can handle assembly; older kids can also take care of the chopping.

Cherry Eggrolls with Honeyed Yogurt

Note that due to the juice in the fruit, these do leak a little. Making sure to roll wrappers tightly will help ensure less leakage.

12 eggroll wrappers
1 cup pitted and diced cherries
½ cup diced apricot
½ cup quartered raspberries
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon honey

Preheat oven to 400. Spray a baking sheet with oil.
In a bowl, combine fruit and sugar.
Lay out an eggroll wrapper with a corner facing you. Place a spoonful of fruit (draining as much juice that has accumulated as possible) in the middle bottom third of the wrapper. Fold the side corners to the middle, then fold up from the bottom and roll tightly, tucking as you go. Wet the top corner with water before the final roll. Set the finished eggroll corner down on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining filling.
Spray the eggrolls with oil. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from pan, clean off any leaked filling, and replace rolls, making sure side that was previously on bottom is now on top. Spray some oil on top and return to oven. Bake for approximately 10 minutes more. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
While cooling, mix the yogurt and honey together. Serve alongside the rolls as a dipping sauce.

Cherry Eggrolls

Comments

1. says

How creative and fun! I’m tempted to try this out soon.

It was fun! For some reason I really like making rolled things like eggrolls and tamales.

2. says

These are lovely, Megan. I did not have the appropriate testers to satisfy the “kid friendly” part of this challenge, so I have been really excited to see what my fellow bloggers come up with. :)

Thanks Kathryn! Looking at the other entries I’m starting to think I overthought it, but I’m still pleased with what I came up with!

Kathryn Reply:

Megan, most “kid friendly” food does not translate into something that I would actually want to eat. However, I think these are nice because I could serve them at a cocktail party just as readily as at home. I might go with some spiked whipped cream at a cocktail party, though :)

3. Chris says

Ooooh these are Adult Friendly too! Perfect little pies in a bundle to eat with hands! Must try these!

4. says

Now these look really good. I’m all about the egg roll. Really a great idea for when The Turkeybird comes to visit!

Good luck with the contest!

5. says

Overthought it? I think not…just a very creative answer and something I know I would love. The idea of the crispy eggroll wrapper versus a softer dough like a hand pie is so appealing. Love.

Thanks Barb! I tried to think outside the bowl, as it were.

6. says

Very creative use of fruit!! Great idea. I didn’t know about the contest; i’m always wanting to enter but can never fit it into the meal plan. Enjoying visiting your blog–thanks!

7. says

Oh! Can’t wait to try these. They’re vegan, as long as I don’t make the dipping sauce. These would be awesome with apples, too. Little mini pies. Sort of like lumpia, if you’re familiar with that.

Trackbacks