Jar Pies

The other day I made these tiny pies, and I’ve been thinking about them ever since.

Quite honestly, they’re perfect for anything. Dinner parties, favors, lunches. Make a variety of flavors and help people feel less guilt about having the pumpkin, pecan, and apple pie at Thanksgiving. The recipe I’ve included is for pumpkin pie but you can do this with practically any other kind of pie.

The jar size is 4 ounces, and can be found among the canning supplies at most grocery stores. You should sterilize the jars beforehand, but you don’t need to worry about prepping the lids. You’ll use them, but because this is not a recipe for canning, you don’t need to worry about that tight seal. We just want to cover the pies.

Any pie crust should work for this, but I recommend one with lots of butter to ensure it can be molded up the side of the jar. Greasing the jars is unnecessary; I found it was quite easy to remove the pies. But keeping them in the jars is really what helps this pie stand out among the crowd.

They can also be frozen, unbaked, and then baked as needed. Let the jars thaw a bit before popping them in the oven, however, because as we all learned in high school science lab, glass doesn’t like extreme temperature changes.

And heck, if you call them tartelettes en bocal people will be even more impressed.

Pumpkin Jar Pies

1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 cups pumpkin
12 ounces evaporated milk

Preheat oven to 425.

Roll out your pie crust, and using a large glass or circular cutter, cut out 16 circles. For each jar, pinch dough together and lower it into jar, then press dough up against the bottom and edges.

Using scraps, add on to the top edges of your crust until desired height. I recommend leaving about 1/4-inch space at the top. Put crusted jars on a cookie sheet and set aside.

In a small bowl mix together sugar and spices. In a large bowl, beat eggs and vanilla together, then mix in pumpkin. Stir in sugar mixture, then carefully add evaporated milk and stir until well incorporated.

Fill each jar with 1/4 to 1/3 cup of batter. Leave a small amount of crust a the top. There should be enough batter for 16 pies.

Bake on cookie sheet at 425 for 10 minutes, then reduce to 350 and bake another 20-25 minutes, until crusts are browned. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before adding lids and rings. Refrigerate until ready to serve, and decorate with whipped cream.

If you liked these pies, consider voting for me in Challenge 6 of Project Food Blog! You can do so by visiting right here. Thanks!

Comments

1. says

I love these! I usually skip the pie crust and make just a custard or pudding. Now I must doe ones with crusts. Little portable pies; not just for picnics anymore!

2. says

Oh my God! I can’t tell you how happy I am that you posted the instructions for these little pies. I loved them in your original *picnic post* and think that they would not only make fabulous little desserts for your own family but great little items to put into gift baskets etc.

Seriously, they are the cutest things I’ve seen in a long time. Thank you for this post.

3. says

these are awesome ! , wondering if anyone has had any luck with doing these in others kinds of pies besides pumpkin? like apples or chocolate even?

Hi Shayne! I did make chocolate pudding pies in jars as well. I baked pricked the shells all over and baked them empty for about 15 minutes, then when they were cooled I filled them with cooked pudding. They worked really well! I haven’t tried apple yet, though it’s on my list.

4. Valerie says

Such a tasty idea!

My main purpose for commenting, though, is to be able to follow any new comments made here. I’m watching for ideas for an apple pie version and preferred crust recipes. :)

Also, anyone find the perfect diameter size to cut the crusts?

5. Jessie says

I love these. I have made them before, but without the crust. They are always a hit! Everyone has their own little pumpkin pie.

6. says

What a great idea for a dessert to just have on hand and keep in the freezer. I wonder if you could do the same with like a chocolate cake or something.. Anyway, I will have to try. I had a really good homemade pumpkin pie with a sugar pie pumpkin. Thanks for the great idea. I voted for you :)

7. says

OMG! I’m in love with this idea! Just wondering though, do they come out right if you cook them, freeze them and let them thaw to eat later? I love pumpkin but does anyone have other recipes that will work for these?

8. says

Uh ok, I could have sworn I commented on this when it came out but apparently I must have been drooling too much to do that! I came here again to send this post to a friend because they are the most unique dessert I have seen in a long time. They are simply perfect Megan.

9. Kathryn K. says

Oh shoot! I bought wide-mouth half-pint jars, instead of 4oz jars. So much for portion control. :) Can’t wait to make these pies!

10. DeeDee says

I just came across this and think it would be fun to do lemon meringue for a back to school idea for my kids teachers… you know, all things yellow when it’s back to school in first grade. Has anyone done these with lemon meringue?

11. says

Stop taking Meridia immediately if allergic reactions or seizures occur and notify a doctor immediately.
    There are many new applications available for you to download within the market.
    Customers seeing those two price points might hesitate to buy Microsoft’s
    option.

12. says

Some people known as Nikon one V1 a conveyable DSLR the place you are
    able to just slip correct by way of your pocket but its shooting strength is identical as that of
    a DSLR. Some people will rely on transferring data
    between flash drives and their home computers, or sending what they wish to have printed to a
    proxy, such as Fed – Ex. Make sure you get a decent resolution
    LCD with any camera in this category.

Trackbacks