I’m one of those people who thinks if you’re craving something, you should just go ahead and have it, otherwise you’ll be thinking about how much you want it for hours.
That’s how it works in my experience, anyway. While I can simply avoid buying the “bad” foods from the store, it’s hard to escape from my pantry of baking ingredients, so now I just embrace the desire.
Of course, for me that means I’m always trying to make things that satisfy my sweet tooth as well as are a little bit healthier than the standard cake or cookie. With this butternut squash snack cake recipe, I think I’ve got a winner.
I know, I know — I’ve been beating you over the head lately with butternut squash (and I have another recipe in the works), but I can’t help it. While others fawn over pumpkin each fall, I do a little jig as soon as I see the other hard winter squashes show up at the market.
We use it in everything, especially savory dishes, and I love that it also works in any standard recipe you’d use with pumpkin.
For this recipe you only need 3/4 cup of squash puree, which is about one small squash. You can either roast it in the oven, or do as I do, and cube and boil it as for mashed potatoes.
You can run it through a food mill to get the texture really smooth, but a potato masher does the trick well enough for me.
You can leave off the frosting if you like, and bake this in a muffin tin, or make it more of a dessert with chocolate frosting. Either way, it’s a quick little recipe to have on hand!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup puréed butternut squash
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 8- by 8-inch baking pan or line with parchment paper. Sift together flour, baking soda, and spices, and set aside. In separate bowl, mix squash, eggs, brown sugar and applesauce until well incorporated.
- Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients until incorporated, then pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Beat together cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Spread on cooled cake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 227mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 3g
More cake recipes you might like:
Apple Skillet Cake with Maple Mascarpone Glaze – Melanie Makes
Grapefruit Orange Pound Cake – Blahnik Baker
Healthier Chocolate Snack Cake – Baking a Moment
Mini Lemon Cakes in Chocolate Boots – Stetted
Raspberry Fudge Pudding Cake – Stetted
This recipe previously appeared in a 2013 issue of Hobby Farms magazine.