This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Salted caramel pecan blondies are just what you need today.
This has been A Week, hasn’t it? I’m not going to get into the details of it, but I’m pretty sure all of us are due for a vacation.
Our spring break doesn’t start for another week, so we’re going to have to make due with a weekend treat instead. Salted caramel is what unites us all, right?
Look, I’m not saying that salted caramel has the power to bring together people who are squabbling about petty differences as they do a prolonged job interview for the highest position in the land, but I’m not not saying that either.
Because it’s pretty hard to resist these salted caramel pecan blondies, no matter where your views lie. I mean, I guess unless you’re anti-dessert, but that’s just straight-up weird.
Salted caramel pecan blondies have it all: chopped pecans in the batter and sprinkled on top, crushed potato chips, a sweet drizzle of melted caramel, and a sprinkle of salt to tie all the flavors together.
I’m not kidding when I say I had to send these to my husband’s work because I kept sneaking back to the pan.
There’s just something about that sweet-salty combo that really appeals to us. I don’t like desserts for desserts’ sake; I love having my taste buds surprised by the combinations of flavors and textures.
These blondies might not be elevated restaurant fare, but they hit that craving like nobody’s business.
You don’t need a lot of potato chips for this recipe, so a snack-size bag is more than plenty. You can also try it with pretzels or pretzel chips — if you do, skip the sprinkle of salt at the very end!
Salted Caramel Pecan Blondies
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 1/2 ounce ridged potato chips, about 1/4 cup, coarsely crushed
- 1/2 cup caramel bits
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with parchment paper, extending over the edges of the pan; lightly coat with cooking spray. In a medium saucepan combine brown sugar and butter, heat and stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Stir in applesauce, eggs, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl combine the flours, baking powder, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the baking soda. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture; stir to combine. Stir in 1/2 cup of pecans.
- Spread mixture into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with crushed potato chips. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a 1-cup glass measure combine caramels and milk.Microwave on 50 percent power (medium) 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until smooth, stirring every 30 seconds. Drizzle melted caramel mixture over cooled blondies; quickly sprinkle with the sea salt and remaining pecans.
- Using the edges of the parchment, lift the uncut blondies out of the pan. Cut into bars and serve.