This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This was part of my Strawberry Extravangza I did for the Foodbuzz 24, 24, 24. Check out the post and enter to win homemade jam!
When I was researching recipes for my Strawberry Extravaganza, I knew I wanted to do something a little unexpected. It wasn’t too hard to jump to strawberry risotto.
The berry flavor isn’t obvious in this strawberry risotto, aside from the pink color. I used vegetable stock instead of the called for chicken, because I wanted to get as much berry flavor as possible, and felt chicken stock would be too overpowering. My toddler loved it, as he does all strawberries and risotto. Because the berries get pulverized, it’s a good way to use up the less-than-beautiful berries.
I paired the strawberry risotto with some lovely grilled asparagus. I adore asparagus, and get pretty excited when it comes back in season. Asparagus is one of those things I feel I’ve wasted so much time not eating! I think I’m doing a good job making up for it, though.
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup strawberries, washed and hulled
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Bring chicken stock to a boil over high heat. Add strawberries and blanch for 30 seconds. Remove berries, purée in a food processor, and set aside. Turn off heat and cover stock.
- Melt butter in a heavy pan over low heat. Add rice and stir constantly for 1 minute. Add wine, cooking till absorbed. Add stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly; allow rice to absorb each 1/2 cup before adding more. Rice should cook in about 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in berries and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Season with salt and pepper.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 295Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 465mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 21g