This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This was part of my Strawberry Extravaganza I did for the Foodbuzz 24, 24, 24. Check out the post and enter to win homemade jam!
When I think of strawberries I automatically think of dessert. It’s kind of hard to be innovative in the strawberry dessert arena, but I gave it a shot.
One of my favorite desserts I’ve made was Mark Bittman’s upside-down apple cake that I made for my local harvest potluck. I wanted to see if I could somehow re-create that with strawberries. It’s not really a new idea, but in my searching none of the recipes I found were really what I wanted.
The whole wheat pastry flour in this cake makes it more substantial, reminding me a bit more like a strawberry shortcake than a traditional airy cake. Feel free to top it with some whipped cream, or balsamic chocolate sauce if you really want to mess with your taste buds.
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease cupcake tins. Sprinkle a teaspoon of brown sugar into the bottom of each cup, then arrange 4-5 strawberry slices on top. Reserve extra berries and sugar.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and raw sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. In another, whisk together milk and both vanillas. (I just use a liquid measuring cup.)
- Alternate adding flour and milk mixtures to the large bowl, starting and ending with the flour. Make sure everything is well combined, but don't overmix.
- Divide batter equally between cupcake wells. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center is clean. Cool for 5-10 minutes, then invert onto a cookie sheet. Carefully replace any strawberries that didn't stick to the cakes.
- While cakes are baking, cook the reserved berries and brown sugar over medium-low heat, until thick and jam-like.
- Cut the rounded tops off the cakes so each cake can sit flat. Add a spoonful of the cooked berries to the top of each cake and serve.
Adapted from Organic and Chic
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 115mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 3gSugar: 22gProtein: 6g