A quick and easy recipe for seasonally-inspired cupcakes using homemade cake mix.
I don’t really get excited about the pumpkin spice latte. I’m more about the other seasonal drinks that certain coffee shop sells. Mochas aren’t my drink anymore, but every winter I have to get at least one peppermint mocha. Mint and chocolate is a classic holiday combination, and who doesn’t like that kick of caffeine?
I’ve taken that idea and applied it to cupcakes. Thanks to having a batch of Homemade Devil’s Food Cake in the freezer, these came together on a whim. That whim being finding super cute cupcake papers when I was doing some Christmas shopping.
Today these cupcakes are out brightening the day of my husband’s coworkers. I mean, really. Who doesn’t like chocolate, whipped cream, and sprinkles? (Seriously, if you don’t like sprinkles, I might not be able to trust you.)
You’ll notice that this recipe only calls for 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract. I find peppermint extract to be extremely potent, so be careful with your pour, otherwise your cupcakes might taste a bit medicinal instead of getting that pleasant, refreshing rush.
- 1/2 batch Homemade Devil's Food Cake Mix (1 jar/bag)
- 1 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin/cupcake tin with paper liners.
- Mix together cake mix, coffee, eggs, and extract together until well-incorporated, breaking up large lumps if needed.
- Pour about 1/4 cup batter into each cupcake paper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before topping.
- Beat heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add sugar and vanilla and continue whipping until thickened and almost to stiff peaks. If using a mixer, finish whipping by hand for a smoother result.
- Dollop whipped cream on each cupcake and top with sprinkles, if desired.
More cupcake recipes you might like:
Blackberry Cabernet Cupcakes – Bakers Royale
Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Cupcakes – Stetted
Strawberry Lemon Cupcakes – Bluebonnet Baker
Thin Mint Cupcakes – My Baking Addiction
For more sweet inspiration, check out my Chocolate Desserts board on Pinterest!
Follow Megan Myers | Stetted’s board Chocolate Desserts on Pinterest.