This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sweetly simple clementine muffins are ideal for cozy mornings.
I have trouble getting up in the morning. This isn’t an uncommon thing, but considering I sleep past 8, it shouldn’t be happening. Sure, these days I’ve been staying up later than I should, but if I get up when the rest of the family does, my body is clamoring for a nap just after lunch.
Right now, the main problem with lazily sleeping in is that my stomach starts a rebellion. If I don’t get out of bed at exactly the right moment and get some food in my mouth immediately, there is digestive hell to pay for hours.
Such as it is when you’re trying to grow a baby. After years of training oneself to only eat when you feel hunger, now you have to eat before you’re hungry.
One of the solutions I’ve relied on is batches of muffins – quick to make the night before, quick to grab and eat in the morning. My favorite is blueberry streusel muffins, but those are more ideal in the summer.
Since we’re still full-on in citrus season and have been plowing through bags of clementines, I thought it would be fun to snag a few from the fruit bowl and make a citrus muffin.
Lightly flavored with juice and zest, these muffins are a great addition to the breakfast table. They’re best served right out of the oven, of course, but can be kept in an airtight container for a couple days, or frozen for future snacking (just reheat for about 30 seconds in the microwave).
- 1 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- Zest and juice of 2 clementines
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease or line a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Sift together flours and set aside.
- Mix together sugars and melted butter, then stir in eggs, yogurt, juice and zest until well blended, then stir in flour until just incorporated.
- Scoop batter into prepared pan and bake for about 15 minutes, until browned.