Blueberry streusel muffins are bursting with berries and topped with a crunchy oatmeal streusel.
Oddly, it had been a while since I had last made blueberry muffins. What had once been my go-to has been replaced with peanut butter toast (for the kids) and scrambled eggs (for me).
The shifting ways of things means that I haven’t been baking as much as I used to — or as much as I would really like to — and the lack of it actually had me feeling unsettled.
You understand what I mean, right? We get ourselves into a groove and then some slight thing puts us off it, and we just can’t find that same spot again.
It works out OK in the end, though, because when I get back on track it helps remind me what a lovely pleasure it is to tuck into a freshly baked blueberry streusel muffin.
Blueberry season doesn’t hit until summer, but I always keep bags of frozen berries on hand. I load up on plump Texas berries and spread them on baking sheets, freeze for a couple hours, and then pour into bags. Doing it this way keeps each blueberry individually frozen so I don’t get a giant chunk of blueberries when it’s time to bake.
These blueberry streusel muffins came about because I wanted to make a version that was reminiscent of those giant bakery ones, but more wholesome. That’s why I included oats and whole wheat flour in the batter, as well as included oats in the crunchy streusel topping.
You can always skip the streusel altogether, if you like. For those of you who are streusel lovers, I heartily recommend also trying out my cranberry pecan streusel coffee cake.
Blueberry streusel muffins are best warm from the oven, but they reheat well if you have leftovers.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
For the streusel
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a muffin tin, or line with paper liners.
- Mix together 1 cup all-purpose flour, white whole wheat flour,1/2 cup rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg and set aside.
- In another bowl, cream together 4 tablespoons butter and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Beat in eggs, then stir in buttermilk and vanilla.
- Stir liquid mixture into flour mixture until just mixed. Add blueberries, and stir until just incorporated.
- In a small bowl, mix together remaining flour, brown sugar, oats, and butter with a fork until a coarse crumble forms.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full, and sprinkle with streusel. Bake for 18 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan, and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 215mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 14gProtein: 4g