This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This green chile bacon burger post was created for Tillamook Burger Month. Read on for the recipe!
Around here, grilling season means any day that doesn’t have a high winds warning, but there’s still something special about cooking outdoors in the warmer months. Maybe it’s the excitement of not having to turn on the stove or oven. After all, grilling doesn’t count as cooking, right?
Burgers are, of course, one of our favorite things to grill up. They provide endless opportunities for customization, and yet you can also go classic with just ketchup and cheese, and end up with a stellar meal. Using quality cheese goes a long way in making a memorable burger.
Our household graduated from rubbery, processed cheese slices long ago, and I’m happily using Tillamook Natural Sliced Cheddar Cheese on my burgers and my son’s grilled cheese sandwiches. The thick slices are excellent for any sandwich, and best of all, they don’t contain any funky ingredients. It’s even created without animal rennet (rennet being a key component in most cheeses), meaning it’s a great choice for vegetarians.
Sorry about this burger, however, vegetarians.
Green chiles are a common ingredient in the Southwest, and every year food lovers in Austin go completely bonkers for the new crop of Hatch chiles. Hatch chile season isn’t until August, but most stores carry tinned roasted green chiles alongside the jalapenos and salsas. You can also swap in a fresh Anaheim or Poblano pepper and roast it yourself, if you like. Note that the heat can vary on peppers, so be sure to try a bit of it before adding to the meat in case you want more or less heat. Topping with Tillamook cheese slices, avocado, and pickled onions makes this a hot-and-cool green chile bacon burger full of flavor. There’s also bacon, because why not?
- 1 pound ground grass-fed beef
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked until crispy and crumbled
- 1/4 cup roasted diced green chiles, such as Hatch variety
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Tillamook Natural Medium Cheddar Cheese Slices
- 4 hamburger buns
- Sliced avocado
- Pickled onion
- Preheat grill.
- Mix together beef, bacon crumbles, green chiles, salt, and pepper. Divide mixture into four equal parts and shape into patties, creating a small well in the center of each patty.
- Cook burgers 3-4 minutes per side.
- While the burgers are cooking, butter tops and bottoms of hamburger buns.
- In the last minute of cooking, add the buns to the grill butter-side down and grill for 1 minute. Remove buns to serving plate, and place burgers on bottom halves, topping with cheese slices immediately.
- Top burgers with sliced avocado and pickled onions, and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 654Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 652mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 41g
More burger recipes that you might like:
- Aloha Teryaki Shrimp Burgers – Skinnytaste
- Dill Havarti Turkey Burgers – Healthy Delicious
- Juicy Lucy Burgers – Stetted
- Merguez Sliders – Stetted
- Thai Veggie Burgers – Oh My Veggie
What’s your favorite kind of burger?
Disclaimer: I received a box of Tillamook goodies and Natural Cheese Slices for participating in Burger Month. I was not otherwise compensated for this post. My opinions are my own, including that you should never ever “squeeze” a burger while it’s cooking.