Blueberry white chocolate cookies are completely unexpected, yet totally delicious! You’ll love this summery cookie.
Somehow I had amassed a variety of chocolate chips in my pantry. Semi-sweet, milk chocolate, baking melts, white chocolate, chocolate-covered sunflower seeds… not to mention cappuccino chips and jammy bits. I don’t make cookies often, so I was puzzled how this collection came about.
I have notebooks all over the house with scrawled recipe ideas, notes that popped into my mind during work, meetings, watching TV. Rarely do these recipes actually get made, and the notes point a finger at my tendency to hoard ingredients. When you’re like me and get excited about ingredients, you tend to go overboard.
I’m kind of a selfish person. So naturally when I became determined to make cookies last week, postpartum energy levels be damned, I wanted to re-create a cookie from one of our local grocery store – never mind that my older son has decided blueberries are an evil fruit. All the more for the adults, right?
It turns out that there is a blueberry white chocolate cookie from the Momofuku Milk Bar in New York City, though I didn’t know it at the time I first made these cookies. When I visited there, I had to get one of theirs, and it turns out I like mine better! Call me crazy, I guess.
I like these cookies so much that I copied the flavor profile again when I made this luscious blueberry white chocolate tart. If you’re looking for something a bit more impressive, make it!
When mixing the blueberries into the cookie dough, do it gently so the berries don’t bleed too much through the dough — unless that’s what you’re going for. Smaller, wild Maine blueberries are excellent for these cookies as they provide small bursts of fruit throughout.
Also, make sure you taste the blueberries before using them in the cookies. While summer is peak berry time, bad crops can often make their way to the grocery store. The white chocolate and cookie dough can cover up some of the bad taste; save yourself the trouble and start out with good fruit.
Blueberry White Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries washed and patted dry
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl, sift together flours, baking soda, and salt. Stir into wet ingredients.
- Stir chocolate chips into dough, then add blueberries, taking care not to mash the berries much.
- Scoop dough onto baking sheets. Bake for about 12 minutes, until browned on edges.