Comforting, hearty, and still simple to make, Chili Beef Pie tastes like home.
It’s Friday. Can I get an amen?
At our house, Friday means taking the big kid to soccer practice, and making sure that he has enough to eat before and after. It’s kind of astonishing how much food a six-year-old can eat — he scarfs down more than I do on most days and clamors for more. And those are on normal days, when he doesn’t spend an hour just running back and forth on a field.
I’ve taken to making big, hearty meals that are sure to fill him up on Fridays. We love things that hit every taste bud, like zucchini taco boats with chicken, bison one-pot dinner, and easy steak and cheese sandwiches served with broccoli. At this point in the parenting game, not having enough food on the table frustrates me, especially if I’ve carefully planned to have all our food groups covered.
We dug into this Chili Beef Pie, enjoying the combination of chili and biscuits. It’s basically a skillet version of a Frito pie, which, as someone living in Texas, I’m required to adore. In fact, the original recipe calls for big handfuls of Fritos on top, so you can itch that craving.
This recipe might not seem all that healthy, and that’s OK. Sometimes you need to get some comfort food, and with the weather cooling off, something warm and hearty is what you want. You can have a salad for lunch tomorrow.
Now, do you need to get a dinner plan ready? Because you need this recipe on your menu. (Bonus – it makes a lot, so you’ll have some left for a to-go lunch!)
Chili Beef Pie
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 15- ounce can chili beans , ranchero beans, undrained
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 batch favorite biscuit dough
- 1 cup corn chips , coarsely crushed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado , diced
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook ground meat,onion, and bell pepper until meat is browned. Drain off excess fat.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, chili powder, and cumin. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, lightly grease a 9- or 10-inch deep-dish pie plate or a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Cut biscuit dough into rounds and press biscuits onto the bottom and up the side of the prepared pan.
- Spoon meat mixture into pan. Sprinkle with chips and cheese.
- Place pie plate on a baking sheet, or skillet directly into oven. Bake about 30 minutes, until crust is golden.
- Let stand 10 minutes to cool, then add diced avocado and serve.
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens
For more tasty inspiration, check out my Beef board on Pinterest!
Follow Megan Myers | Stetted’s board Beef Recipes on Pinterest.