Fig Oatmeal Bars
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Don’t worry – I’m not continuing to cook with the fresh figs I got a few weeks ago. Those are sadly gone. However, I do still have a couple recipes I haven’t posted! And I still have a big stash of those dried beauties. So I’ll be posting more fig recipes from time to time.
For this recipe, I was thinking of a sort of portable crumble or cobbler. I had been toying with the idea of making rugelach, but that is a lot of work and uses a lot more butter than I was wanting to after all that goat cheese. This still uses a stick of butter, but it makes 16 servings instead.
- 2 cups fresh figs, such as Sierra, diced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cups oats
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons butter, 1 stick
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper. (It works best to spray the pan with non-stick, then press in parchment, and spray the top.)
- Combine figs and honey in a small saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until honey is dissolved and figs start to break down. Mash up a bit with a potato masher. Set aside while you get the oatmeal mixture ready.
- In a food processor, blitz oats, flour, salt, and cinnamon until the oats are broken up to your liking. Cut butter into cubes and add to mixture, pulsing until incorporated and the mixture is crumbly.
- Take about half the oat mixture and press it into the pan evenly, forming the bottom crust. Spread the fig mixture over the top, then scatter the rest of the oat mixture over it.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
Adapted from Whole Foods Market
Calories: 146 kcalCarbohydrates: 21 gProtein: 2 gFat: 7 gSaturated Fat: 4 gCholesterol: 15 mgSodium: 80 mgFiber: 2 gSugar: 9 g
You make it look so easy to make delicious things! These would be such a perfect snack for work!
Thanks Meghan! And it’s barely even baking – no worries about things rising!
By the way, I buzzed your FBZ post. I hope you win a slot! I’m going to be trying for the Nature’s Pride sponsorship and it is nerve-wracking already!