Plum clafouti is an easy dish you can make for breakfast or dessert.
Before I had my baby this summer, I was basically ALL THE FRUIT for my diet. We were buying massive amounts of fruit, and my fruitatarian son and I plowed through them. It was out of control. Or at least as out of control things can be when you’re talking about fruit consumption.
Eventually I had a frantic plea to a friend, who works next to the flagship Whole Foods, for more fruit, and she came through like a champ, bringing me big bags of grapes, cartons of blackberries and raspberries, and a handful of plums.
The juicy plums turned into clafouti, and I made it twice since then. I maybe ate half of this last pan after I had the photo taken. Maybe.
Clafouti is often made with raspberries, but this plum variety might be my favorite. You don’t even need to peel the plums before cooking it, which I always think is a plus.
It can be enjoyed for breakfast or dessert, or maybe even as an afternoon snack. Plum clafouti feels fancy, but it’s as easy as you can get for a creamy, luscious dessert.
- 4 plums, small, red or black
- 4 eggs, large
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Powdered sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a pie plate with butter or canola oil spray.
- Slice plums, discarding pits. Arrange slices in the pie plate, covering as much of it as possible.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix together sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg thoroughly.
- Add the egg mixture and beat well. Pour batter over plums.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Clafouti will puff up in the oven, and then deflate slightly as it cools. Serve with powdered sugar sprinkled on top, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 69mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 31gProtein: 5g
More fruity breakfast recipes that you might like: