This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Make breakfast better with homemade apple cheddar breakfast sausages studded with fruit and Kerrygold Skellig.
Nearly three months later, kindergarten is still a transition. Amid his successes in the classroom, home life is fraught with denied exhaustion, harsh words, and frustrated tears.
You could say we’re still trying to find a balance, but when you’re six years old, I’m not sure balance is even an option. Throw a baby brother into the mix, and it’s no wonder 3 out of 4 people in this house are in or near tears every night.
I can’t control what happens during the day, but the least I can do is put a good breakfast in him. We really enjoy biscuit breakfast sandwiches, but I don’t get much time to make them during the school week. Plus, even when I buy the best sausages I can, I don’t like not being in control of the ingredients. Then I remembered how easy it is to make your own.
Making sausages with chicken is as simple as getting white and dark meat (already ground if you don’t have a grinder at home) and mixing it with whatever spices and other ingredients you want. For this sausage, I added Skellig, Kerrygold’s newest cheese.
I first tasted Skellig after Maggy from Three Many Cooks hooked up my pregnant self with a lot of cheese and butter. Almost immediately it became my new favorite cheese — it’s a sweet cheddar, but not sweet-sweet in the traditional food sense. There’s also a bit of nuttiness that is in all the cheeses that I really love.
Skellig pairs really well with apple and maple syrup, so I added those into the sausage as well. With the small cubes, the cheese doesn’t make a melty mess in your pan, but adds bites of flavor within the sausage.
And the verdict? Well, when I served these up for brinner, my son said, “I wish I had one hundred of these!” Sometimes, all you need is a hug and some homemade food.
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star review below! It means so much when you enjoy my recipes, so let me know how it goes and leave a comment if you have any questions.
Apple Cheddar Breakfast Sausages
- 1/2 pound ground dark meat chicken
- 1/2 pound ground white meat chicken
- 3.5 ounces Kerrygold Skellig cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 small apple, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Put chicken, cheese, apple, and syrup in a large bowl. In a small bowl mix together spices, then pour into large bowl. Mix everything together until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Form sausage into 12 patties and chill until ready to cook.
- Cook over medium-low to medium heat for about 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking time. Extra cooked sausages can be stored in the freezer; reheat on the stove with a little water in the pan (just like commercial sausages).
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate based on online calculators. Any nutritional information found on Stetted should be used as a general guideline only.
More sausage recipes you might like:
- Homemade Merguez Sausage – Healthy Green Kitchen
- Homemade Sausage Gravy – Stetted
- Sausage Egg Soufflé – Jelly Toast
- Smoked Sausage and Roasted Vegetables – Stephie Cooks
- White Bean Sausage Soup – Stetted
Disclaimer: I received cheese and butter from Kerrygold to create a Skellig recipe as part of their contest for the Kerrygold Bloggers Network. All opinions are my own, and obviously, I like cheese.
I focus on fresh ingredients and easy methods, with spins that keep meals interesting. Dinnertime shouldn’t be stressful or complicated, and I’m here to help you enjoy the time spent in the kitchen. Read more…