This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Make breakfast better with homemade apple cheddar breakfast sausages studded with fruit and Kerrygold Skellig.
Nearly three months later, kindergarten is still a transition. Amid his successes in the classroom, home life is fraught with denied exhaustion, harsh words, and frustrated tears.
You could say we’re still trying to find a balance, but when you’re six years old, I’m not sure balance is even an option. Throw a baby brother into the mix, and it’s no wonder 3 out of 4 people in this house are in or near tears every night.
I can’t control what happens during the day, but the least I can do is put a good breakfast in him. We really enjoy biscuit breakfast sandwiches, but I don’t get much time to make them during the school week. Plus, even when I buy the best sausages I can, I don’t like not being in control of the ingredients. Then I remembered how easy it is to make your own.
Making sausages with chicken is as simple as getting white and dark meat (already ground if you don’t have a grinder at home) and mixing it with whatever spices and other ingredients you want. For this sausage, I added Skellig, Kerrygold’s newest cheese.
I first tasted Skellig after Maggy from Three Many Cooks hooked up my pregnant self with a lot of cheese and butter. Almost immediately it became my new favorite cheese — it’s a sweet cheddar, but not sweet-sweet in the traditional food sense. There’s also a bit of nuttiness that is in all the cheeses that I really love.
Skellig pairs really well with apple and maple syrup, so I added those into the sausage as well. With the small cubes, the cheese doesn’t make a melty mess in your pan, but adds bites of flavor within the sausage.
And the verdict? Well, when I served these up for brinner, my son said, “I wish I had one hundred of these!” Sometimes, all you need is a hug and some homemade food.
Apple Cheddar Breakfast Sausages
- 1/2 pound ground dark meat chicken
- 1/2 pound ground white meat chicken
- 3.5 ounces Kerrygold Skellig cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 small apple, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Put chicken, cheese, apple, and syrup in a large bowl. In a small bowl mix together spices, then pour into large bowl. Mix everything together until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Form sausage into 12 patties and chill until ready to cook.
- Cook over medium-low to medium heat for about 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking time. Extra cooked sausages can be stored in the freezer; reheat on the stove with a little water in the pan (just like commercial sausages).
More sausage recipes you might like:
- Homemade Merguez Sausage – Healthy Green Kitchen
- Homemade Sausage Gravy – Stetted
- Sausage Egg Soufflé – Jelly Toast
- Smoked Sausage and Roasted Vegetables – Stephie Cooks
- White Bean Sausage Soup – Stetted
Disclaimer: I received cheese and butter from Kerrygold to create a Skellig recipe as part of their contest for the Kerrygold Bloggers Network. All opinions are my own, and obviously, I like cheese.