Strawberry Doughnuts

I have been searching for a baked doughnut pan for approximately forever. I must not have been the only one, because all of a sudden in the past 6 months or so I’ve actually been finding them. I took the opportunity to use a Sur La Table coupon to get one of those fancy pans this past weekend, and on Sunday I whipped up a batch of strawberry doughnuts.

Even though I made these on the weekend there’s no reason you couldn’t do it for a weekday breakfast (or maybe even dessert). The batter comes together in 5 minutes and the doughnuts only bake for about 8. Preposterously simple.

Strawberry Doughnuts on Stetted
These are a little more on the muffin side rather than dense cake doughnut, but I’m perfectly OK with that.

Strawberry Doughnuts

Yield: 6

Ingredients

• 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/3 cup raw sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter
  • 1/3 cup diced strawberries
  • 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 425 and grease doughnut pan.
  2. In a small bowl, stir together berries and syrup. In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients, then add milk, egg, and butter, stirring until just combined. Add berries. Fill each cup about 2/3 full. Bake for 7-9 minutes, until tops spring back.
  3. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from pan, if you can. Eat as is or dip in chocolate glaze if you're feeling naughty.

Notes

adapted from the Wilton doughnut pan recipe

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Comments

1. says

Hahaha, my mom bought one of those pans ages ago. I discovered it in the back of the cabinet where we keep all the baking sheets and muffin tins. It was still in its packaging. I’ve yet to use it; maybe I’ll try it out since now I actually have a healthy recipe to use it with. :)

2. Vegetable Matter says

We’re always looking for healthy breakfast items for the kids. This definitely fits the bill. And strawberries are so gorgeous right now I want to use them in everything.

3. says

You know, it never even occurred to me that in order to make baked donuts, you’d need a baked donut pan. Now that you mention it, though, it’s totally obvious… and of course, I totally want one. :)
    Love how the strawberries create those lovely blotches of bright red. This one is definitely going on the must-try list.

4. says

Well congrats on making to the Daily 9!
    I have never seen anything like these pretty, fruity donuts! Nice job!

Was it your recipe? Very nice indeed!

I have seen a grill pan that had a donut insert, but I have not seen donut shaped baking pan. There is always something new of course. One cannot see everything there is out there.

What company did you buy your pan from?

I would love to know when you get a chance responding to all your emails and comments.

Also, I would love to have you be regular contributor to my new cooking blog, “Cooking Up A Storm with Polly Motzko.”

I would love to hear from you.

Once again, great job! These look really scrumptious!

Polly Motzko

5. says

I love doughnuts and these look simply divine! And they are baked – much healthier alternative! Bravo for making Top9. This goes to my “to-bake” list!

6. says

Although it’s the best toy that will essentially offer you value for your
    money, always be prepared to cough more when opting for this toy box.
    Kids are, in fact, very keen on playing with toys, and there is diversity of remote control airplanes obtainable in the marketplace from which one as well as his or her kids can make
    their mind up from and it makes their kids content along with it would make their hobby.

There are some parents who really enjoy playing with Thomas, almost more than his child.

7. says

First off I would like to say excellent blog! I had a quick question in which
    I’d like to ask if you do not mind. I was interested
    to know how you center yourself and clear your head before writing.
    I’ve had trouble clearing my thoughts in getting my
    thoughts out. I do enjoy writing but it just seems like
    the first 10 to 15 minutes are wasted simply just trying to figure out
    how to begin. Any ideas or hints? Kudos!

Trackbacks