I have been searching for a baked doughnut pan for approximately forever. I must not have been the only one, because all of a sudden in the past 6 months or so I’ve actually been finding them. I took the opportunity to use a Sur La Table coupon to get one of those fancy pans this past weekend, and on Sunday I whipped up a batch of strawberry doughnuts.
Even though I made these on the weekend there’s no reason you couldn’t do it for a weekday breakfast (or maybe even dessert). The batter comes together in 5 minutes and the doughnuts only bake for about 8. Preposterously simple.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/3 cup diced strawberries
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425 and grease doughnut pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together berries and syrup. In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients, then add milk, egg, and butter, stirring until just combined. Add berries. Fill each cup about 2/3 full. Bake for 7-9 minutes, until tops spring back.
- Let cool 5 minutes before removing from pan, if you can. Eat as is or dip in chocolate glaze if you're feeling naughty.