This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
BBQ roasted chickpeas are a spicy, addictive snack — just like your favorite potato chips, but healthier!
I’m a snacker. I say this without apology, because it’s just who I am. Some of us eat huge meals and some of us graze throughout the day. Because I fall into the latter category, working from home can be pretty dangerous.
In theory I could ignore the food, but considering I’m constantly working in the kitchen, that idea quickly dissolves.
We all want to make better choices with our food, no matter where we’re starting from. For me, I know that anything crunchy and salty is an instant draw, and potato chips are not safe in this house.
In general we just keep them out of the house to avoid the mindless eating that happens in their presence, but that doesn’t mean those cravings go away.
I may have found my new favorite snack in the form of roasted chickpeas. Yeah, I know that roasted chickpeas aren’t new, but that’s no reason to not enjoy them.
I love preparing them in a spice mix that’s reminiscent of BBQ potato chips. Spicy and a little bit sweet, these BBQ roasted chickpeas are super addictive. I maybe ate 3/4 of the batch all by myself.
When you are preparing your roasted chickpeas, you can either leave the skins on or remove them. I prefer to remove the skins as it helps make the chickpeas crisp, and it’s fairly easy to do. The skins generally slip right off, and you can do a lot at once by putting the chickpeas on a kitchen towel and then rubbing them together.
I highly recommend using smoked paprika as it really makes the BBQ flavor, but regular paprika will do as well.
As for how to eat them, well, just pop ’em right into your mouth! BBQ roasted chickpeas are also yummy on salads as a substitute for croutons.
BBQ Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 15- ounce can chickpeas, garbanzo beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Remove skins if desired, and pat chickpeas dry.
- In a bowl, toss chickpeas with olive oil and honey.
- In a small bowl mix together paprika, chile powder, salt, and garlic powder, then pour mixture over chickpeas and stir well to combine.
- Spread chickpeas on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes, until crispy.
- Let cool. Best served immediately, but can be stored in an airtight container (preferably glass).