Pork Cabbage Skillet
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This easy pork cabbage skillet is a comforting dish that needs minimal ingredients.
I think it’s funny that some of our favorite dishes are the least photogenic. Meatloaf is generally not very pretty, and soups and stews can go either way. Don’t get me started on casseroles.
Yet you can’t really deny what your taste buds crave. Sure, sometimes it might be a lovely composed salad. Sometimes it looks like mush in a bowl.
Some say that we eat with our eyes first, but I’m inclined to say we actually eat with our noses first. Who can deny that the tantalizing aroma of beef stew as it simmers all day or the unmistakable scent of baking bread are what gets us salivating?
This pork cabbage skillet might not win any beauty awards, but it’s one of our family favorites. I was turned on to it a few years ago when I asked friends for cabbage recipe ideas. Until I was an adult I only had cabbage in the form of coleslaw, and couldn’t think of what else to do with it after my husband made sauerkraut and the cabbages kept coming in our CSA box.
Thanks to the use of bulk Italian sausage, which is preseasoned, you don’t need many ingredients to cook up this dish. An onion, an apple, some stock, and perhaps additional herbs like oregano are all required.
For us, recipes like this are lifesavers. It doesn’t require much thought, and at the end of busy days that’s all we can handle. (Especially when your kids are clamoring for another cartoon. Streaming TV is both wonderful and evil.)
You can serve this over rice or pasta if you like. We tend to keep it simple and just enjoy it as is, with an herb roll on the side. If you like, try it with other kinds of bulk sausage to suit your tastes.
This does not have added salt due to the sausage and broth, but be sure to taste at the end of cooking and add more seasoning if you prefer.
Pork Cabbage Skillet
- 1 pound bulk mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- Brown pork in a large, deep-sided skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook about 3 more minutes.
- Add cabbage in batches, adding just as much as you can while still being able to stir the pan. As you stir and the cabbage wilts, add the rest of the cabbage.
- Stir well to fully incorporate cabbage with the pork.
- Add the apple and pour over the broth, then cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice or pasta, if desired.