Colder weather calls for cozy recipes, and this white bean chicken chili hits the spot any night of the week. Make it in the slow cooker for hands-off dinner!
Soups and stews are some of my favorite things to eat. While summer’s temperatures don’t prevent me from soup meals, brisker days definitely prompt a desire to cozy up with a warm bowl.
We make a lot of beef chili (with or without beans, depending on the mood) but I also like to use different meats. My pumpkin turkey chili, for instance, is perfect for a lighter meal that celebrates fall.
Similarly, chicken is a great protein for chili. You can use ground chicken, but I like to use shredded chicken instead.
If you have a leftover roast chicken or love to grab those rotisserie chickens at the grocery store, this recipe is an excellent way to use the meat.
how to make white bean chicken chili in the instant pot
For this recipe I use the slow cooker, but you can just as easily use your Instant Pot!
Cook the onions and peppers using the sauté setting. Stir in the spices and deglaze the pot with a little bit of broth. Then add the rest of the ingredients and set the lid on.
Make sure the lid is set to seal. Use the Beans/Chili button and let cook, then do a manual pressure release.
Or, you can use the Slow Cooker function on the Instant Pot and set it for 4 hours. Make sure the lid is set to venting!
how to make white bean chicken chili on the stove
Don’t have a slow cooker or Instant Pot? Luckily, this recipe comes together quickly no matter how you make it.
Since we are using precooked chicken and canned beans, cooking this chili on the stove doesn’t take long.
Heat a 4-quart saucepan or dutch oven over medium-high, then add the oil. Once the oil is heated, add the onions and peppers and sauté.
Cook until soft, then stir in the spices. Deglaze the pan with broth, then add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for about 30 minutes.
No matter how you make it, white bean chicken chili is a great option for dinnertime.
Serve it up with sliced or diced avocado, lime wedges, tortilla chips, diced onion, sour cream, pickled jalapeños… the options are endless!
Need an accompaniment to soak up that broth? My hatch cheddar biscuits are a great option with a kick!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 diced onion
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles, mild or hot
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, drained
- Juice of 1 lime
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan (or turn your slow cooker to Saute if you have the option) over medium-high. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes, then add green chiles and garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Mix together cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, coriander, and black pepper and stir into onion mixture. Add 1/2 cup of the broth and scrape the bottom of the pan to release any stuck bits.
- Pour pan contents into slow cooker and add remaining broth, chicken, white beans, and lime juice. Cook on Low for 4 hours.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 376Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 1885mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 27g