Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie

I love a world where I can work all day, grab a couple things at the store, make a pie, pick up my son, cook risotto and roast vegetables, have dinner, take son to buy ornaments, make turkey stock, and watch a movie all on a Monday.

Sure, I don’t quite love the work all day part, but being productive at home helps me feel better about that.

I had cookies left from the first batch of these (the ones with too much butter) and Robyn had suggested making pie crust with them. Well, OK! Naturally chocolate was my first thought but I wanted something a little more. Something peanut butter.

I hit upon The Pioneer Woman’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie, and used that for my inspiration. But I tweaked it – for one thing, there’s no way I’m putting non-dairy whipped topping in a pie. Sorry Ree, but real whipped cream all the way in this house. Also, since my crust was mainly plain shortbread, I added chocolate to the filling.

Valhrona cocoa powder bulk. Is there a better phrase than that? Right now at the grocery store there is a giant bin of fragrant, utterly enticing cocoa powder. Can I take a bath in that?

This pie is dense and rich and tastes just like a Reese’s peanut butter cup to me. And you can throw it together before starting your dinner prep in order to enjoy it after dinner. Win.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie

adapted from The Pioneer Woman

For the crust
1 1/2 cups crushed cookies of choice
4 tablespoons butter, melted

For the filling
1 cup peanut butter
8 ounces neufchatel cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup high quality cocoa powder, such as Valhrona
1 cup fresh whipped cream

Crust:
Stir cookie crumbs and butter together and press into a 9-inch pie pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes or until set.
Let cool completely before filling or pop into the freezer while you move on to the next step.

Filling:
Beat peanut butter with neufchatel cheese until smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Beat in powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Gently mix in whipped cream until incorporated.
Pour filling into prepared crust and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until ready to serve.

, , ,

15 Responses to Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie

1. Chris Larson December 7, 2010 at 5:49 pm #

**1/4 high quality cocoa powder, such as Valhrona**

I assume a quarter cup but…

Umm yeah. Fixed!

2. Ethan @ tastesbetterwithfriends.wordpress.com December 7, 2010 at 9:45 pm #

Ok, here’s a story, when I go for ice cream, I always choose chocolate and peanut butter and now you’re teasing me with this pie! It looks amazing and I want a slice right now!

3. Jackie December 8, 2010 at 5:55 am #

Peanut butter PIE?! Good Lord. I’ve never heard of such a thing, but it looks amazing. Is it sticky in your mouth? I imagine it’d sort of coat your tongue a little in there. Though I’m not a huge chocolate fan, I love it combined with peanut butter, which makes me think I’d love this too.

I’m on a bit of a pie kick at the moment, so maybe I’ll have to have a go at this!

Jax x

4. The Chocolate Priestess December 8, 2010 at 6:39 am #

This is how you do it when one baking project doesn’t quite turn out like you hoped, don’t throw it out, recycle it!

5. Stephanie @ The Brunette Foodie December 8, 2010 at 7:04 am #

YUM. I’m originally from Pennsylvania where Peanut Butter Pie is a standard. I’ve had chocolate versions, but they always seemed to not have the perfect balance of chocolate and peanut butter.

Coincidentally I have all of these ingredients in my house right now. I’m also having a Christmas party on Friday. I’m thinking this will be making an appearance if I can get my act together.

6. Carrie December 8, 2010 at 8:45 am #

This is my kind of pie! Looks amazing. And that is one productive day! I love days like that, too.

7. Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris December 9, 2010 at 1:32 am #

That opening phrase of yours…I agree with every word of it!!
    Great pie idea for this very cold afternoon!

8. Jenny @ meltingbutter December 9, 2010 at 4:14 am #

oooh that looks so gooood! I want a piece please! :) ))

9. briarrose December 9, 2010 at 11:06 am #

Wonderful treat. I love the ones that whip together nice and easy.

10. Evan @swEEts December 9, 2010 at 3:54 pm #

I think I could eat this whole pie. Sounds like a perfect treat.. especially if you can whip it all up before dinner!

11. Chocolate Shavings December 10, 2010 at 4:47 am #

What a perfect dessert!

12. Gali December 10, 2010 at 6:45 am #

Looks awesome! (and probably tastes awesome too)

13. Simply Life December 11, 2010 at 5:54 am #

WOW! What a great pie!

1. Tweets that mention Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie | stetted -- Topsy.com - December 7, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Kim Bingham, Megan Myers. Megan Myers said: {New Post} Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie http://bit.ly/h4vzPk [...]