Breakfast Enchilada Stackers
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve always loved Mexican/Tex-Mex food, but of course now that I live in Texas my intake of it has skyrocketed. We’re not going to talk about how much I ate when I was pregnant. At least I can blame that on the baby that was growing inside me. Not that my cravings for it have let up one bit!
I missed the Daring Cooks’ challenge last month so it was good to hop to it again.
Our hosts this month, Barbara of Barbara Bakes and Bunnee of Anna+Food have chosen a delicious Stacked Green Chile & Grilled Chicken Enchilada recipe in celebration of Cinco de Mayo! The recipe, featuring a homemade enchilada sauce was found on www.finecooking.com and written by Robb Walsh.
Even though it wasn’t too much of a challenge for me, I still appreciate it when our recipe is something I already know I love! Since we were able to do whatever kind we wanted, as long as we made an enchilada sauce, I decided to make a breakfast version. I love breakfast, so it was basically a no-brainer, and a win for everyone involved.
The enchilada sauce is insanely simple. I keep diced Hatch peppers, roasted last summer, on hand in the freezer. I used up my last three cubes, about 3 ounces, to make this sauce. The only other things you need for it is vegetable broth, flour, salt, and pepper. Seriously. Combined with tortillas, farm eggs, bacon, and raw milk cheddar cheese, it makes for a nice change-up from the standard breakfast taco. (Don’t worry, I still love you, breakfast taco!)
Now, I know the traditional enchilada uses corn tortillas, but I loved the way these flour rounds crisped up. You can easily swap in corn tortillas, if you prefer, though at that point you might as well just make migas!
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star review below! It means so much when you enjoy my recipes, so let me know how it goes and leave a comment if you have any questions.
- 3 or 4 ounces diced roasted Hatch peppers
- 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 flour tortillas
- In a saucepan, heat peppers until starting to sizzle a little, then stir in flour until all mixed in. Slowly stir in broth. Heat on medium low, stirring occasionally, while preparing the rest.
- Cook the bacon in a medium frying pan until crispy. Remove to paper-towel lined plate to cool, then crumble.
- Using a round cutter, cut out 4 circles from each tortilla. Fry the tortillas quickly in the bacon fat (less than a minute for both sides should be enough). Put in microwave to keep warm.
- In a separate pan, scramble the eggs. Or cook those in the bacon fat too. Why the heck not?
- Spoon a small amount of the sauce onto a plate. Place one tortilla in the center. Add egg and cheese, then another tortilla. Put a tiny bit of sauce on top of tortilla, then place crispy bacon pieces on that. (The sauce will help keep the bacon in place.) Add another tortilla and more egg, and cheese. Top with a final tortilla, spoon extra sauce on, and add more cheese.
- Optionally, you can just mix the sauce, eggs, bacon, and cheese together and serve the tortillas on the side as the yummiest chip scoops ever.
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate based on online calculators. Any nutritional information found on Stetted should be used as a general guideline only.
I focus on fresh ingredients and easy methods, with spins that keep meals interesting. Dinnertime shouldn’t be stressful or complicated, and I’m here to help you enjoy the time spent in the kitchen. Read more…
Great job on your challenge and your stacked enchiladas look absolutely delicious. Won’t mind having some for my breakfast tomorrow.
Enchiladas with scrambled eggs – that sounds like a combination my family would enjoy, too. Going to bookmark your recipe to try it out soon! Good job on the challenge!
Breakfast enchiladas sound AMAZING!! I’m going to have to try that soon… I can’t believe I had never explored all of the enchilada-type options before now. I think I just realized how much I love corn tortillas.
The pics look gorgeous, too!
I think a breakfast version is brilliant. It looks so delicious. Thanks for cooking with us.
Your breakfast enchiladas look great! I love any kind of eggs+tortillas+tomatillo sauce, so I know this would be a hit.
I have to admit that breakfast stack looks so delicious and the tortillas look extra special. Well done on this challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia
Replacing the chicken with eggs and bacon is a great idea! Eggs and tomatillo salsa go *so* well together!
I did a riff on Huevos Rancheros that really hit the spot. I also ended up making scrambled eggs with chorizo twice this month.
The flavors just really lend themselves to a wonderful breakfast. Yours sound delicious and look amazing.
These look delicious!!
Great meeting you at CampBlogAway this past weekend! Nice take on this Challenge with your breakfast version, and I love your mini flour tortillas.
These enchiladas are absolutely beautiful! I love Mexican in the morning, but I never would try it at home. Your post may just give me the courage I need to breathe new life into brunch this weekend! So great to meet you at camp. I’m looking forward to reading your blog and getting to know you virtually.
Such an innovative take on this month’s challenge. Hats off to you!