This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Make breakfast for a crowd with this tortilla breakfast casserole.
The weeks are moving faster and faster these days. I’m not blaming it on getting older (because I’m not that old, thank you very much) but on the ever-growing list of things we have going on. Meetings, food events, work projects, house projects, homework, actually eating together as a family… it all adds up so that by the time we hit Friday we collapse on the sofa, look at each other, and ask, What happened?
Not that there is any time for slowing down on the weekend, because the weekend is the best time to get all of those projects done, not to mention visit with friends, go to the park, attend more food events. What I’m saying is, we need a good breakfast to pull us through the day.
I’ve found that breakfast casseroles are the best way to ensure everyone has something good in their bellies. They’re big enough for everyone in the family to have some for multiple meals, reheat quickly, and are full of protein to give a good start to the day.
This tortilla breakfast casserole recipe has all our favorite breakfast taco flavors: peppers, tortillas, cheese, and sausage. You can customize it if you like — I love chorizo and it would be great in place of the pork sausage (if you don’t have any spice-haters in the house) and diced cooked potato would be wonderful as well.
While I make mine in a big pan, you can make them in muffin tins for individual portions, making them great for taking to work or school. No matter how you bake it, serve it up with sour cream, avocado, and your favorite salsa for a breakfast that will warm you up and help you tackle that looming to-do list.
- 1/2 pound pork breakfast sausage
- 4 ounces chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until browned. Add chiles, onions, peppers, salt, and pepper, and cook until vegetables are softened. Remove from heat and let cool while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and milk.
- Cut tortillas into pieces. Stir tortillas, cheese, meat mixture, and cilantro into egg mixture.
- Pour into prepared baking dish, redistributing ingredients as needed.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until set and lightly browned.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 237mgSodium: 625mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 21g