Got a glut of zucchini? Use it up in this crispy gluten free zucchini crust pizza, filled with fresh herbs!
Lately on Instagram and Facebook I’ve been seeing plenty of photos of mammoth zucchinis, vegetables that are the size of my thigh. While my own zucchini plants never make it past a brilliant burst of flowers, it seems like everyone else out there is struggling under the load of a vegetable that flips from a summer crush to a summer stalker in a few short weeks.
While classic zucchini bread is my kids’ preferred way of eating zucchini (seriously, just throw anything into a batter and I’m pretty sure kids will gobble it up), I’ve been looking for fresher ways to incorporate it into my daily meals.
I’ve seen many recipes out there using different vegetables to create pizza crusts, especially cauliflower, thanks in part to the Paleo and keto movement. Why not zucchini?
Zucchini works great in fritters, so only a few more steps were needed to create a crispy pizza crust. As with fritters or latkes, make sure you remove as much of the natural zucchini liquid as possible, either with a colander or squeezing in a kitchen towel or cheesecloth.
A bit of gluten free flour, cornmeal, egg, and cheese bring the mixture together so the crust holds up with no additional oil.
Although it might sound complicated, I actually found this zucchini crust pizza easier to make than a traditional pizza crust, since there’s no kneading or rising required. The base is so full of flavor that you don’t need to add a ton of toppings — just let that crust shine!
I recommend using fresh, light ingredients to top off this pizza — not only to experience the full flavor of the crust, but also to ensure you don’t overload the dough and cause pizza flopitus, a common problem across America.
I used fresh mozzarella, homegrown Sun Gold tomatoes, and peppery arugula. This would also be great with a bit of crumbled spicy sausage, or perhaps fresh figs. Don’t be deterred by the fact the crust is made with zucchini, and experiment!
Just be sure to precook the crust long enough so that it gets crispy before adding the toppings, and try to not use too many wet ingredients that would rehydrate the crust, such as pineapple, mushroom, or eggplant slices.
To reheat the zucchini crust pizza and still achieve a nice crunchy bite, warm individual slices in a [amazon_textlink asin=’B00QC2M7VA’ text=’toaster oven’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’stetted-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’fbccb54f-8ebd-11e8-aa55-cf7a4398e353′] or in a skillet on the stove.
- 1/4 cup gluten-free stone-ground cornmeal, plus 1 tablespoon
- 2 1/2 cups packed shredded zucchini
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh herbs, such as basil or sage
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups baby arugula
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a 12-inch pizza pan with parchment paper. Sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon cornmeal; set pan aside.
- Place shredded zucchini in a colander set in the sink; press several times with paper towels to remove excess moisture (you should have 2 cups packed zucchini after draining).
- In a large bowl combine egg, the cheese, the flour, the 1/4 cup cornmeal, the sage, and garlic. Stir in the drained zucchini. Spoon mixture onto the prepared pizza pan. Using your hands, press into an even layer. Drizzle with oil.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven; cool slightly. Using a spatula, loosen crust but do not remove from pan (this keeps the crust from sticking after the final baking).
- Top with desired pizza toppings. Bake about 8 minutes more or until toppings are heated through and cheese, if using, is melted. To serve, cut into 12 wedges.
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 285Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 223mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 12g