This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Raspberries & cream pie is just the thing to round out your summer. Tart raspberries are surrounded by a sour cream custard and topped with streusel topping. This sweet, tart, and buttery pie is everything you could want in one bite.
There’s always a magical time in summer when the organic raspberries go on sale for a ridiculously low price and I sort of lose my mind. Since there is no way to get local raspberries, those little containers are pretty pricey.
There’s always a magical time in summer when the organic raspberries go on sale for a ridiculously low price and I sort of lose my mind.
Since there is no way to get local raspberries, those little containers are pretty pricey. But every year in the height of the season in California the little gems are priced to move, and I am grateful.
If you’re lucky enough to sequester a few boxes from tiny hands, I highly recommend you make this raspberries and cream pie.
assembling raspberry pie
But every year in the height of the season in California the little gems are priced to move, and I am grateful. So are my kids, who do their best to eat them all before I even get a crack.
Raspberries and cream pie is incredibly easy, especially because there is no fruit prep involved aside from washing.
I adore pies where you basically just dump things in, and think more pies need to exist this way. Can we start a movement to create more of these recipes? I’ll start by contributing this one and maple pecan pie.
The creamy filling that surrounds the tart berries is a custard of sorts, made with sour cream, eggs, and a few other ingredients. Just whisk it together and pour it over the raspberries.
After you pour the filling in, the pie gets topped with a streusel topping because why not. It all works beautifully together, with the tart and tangy and buttery and sweet vying for attention on your tongue. This is a go-to summer pie.
CAN YOU USE GREEK YOGURT INSTEAD OF SOUR CREAM?
I’m sure someone is going to ask if you can swap in Greek yogurt for the sour cream in this pie filling.
I’ll say sure! but be aware I haven’t done it. While the texture should be the same, you’ll likely end up with a slightly different flavor and not quite as much richness as with the sour cream.
Either way you’ll end up with a pie, and I don’t think that’s a bad way to go.
WHAT OTHER BERRIES CAN YOU USE?
Don’t love raspberries?
We can’t be friends anymore. KIDDING. More for me.
In all seriousness, I have made this pie with blueberries instead of raspberries and it is great! You could even try blackberries, strawberries or cherries instead.
I’d halve or quarter strawberries or cherries before adding them to the pie, so they’ll require a bit more prep than the raspberries. But hey, it’s still not a lot of work for a lot of deliciousness.
- 1 pie crust
- 3 cups raspberries, washed and patted dry
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or vanilla paste
For the topping
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lay your pie crust in a 9-inch pie pan.
- Dump raspberries into pie crust.
- In a bowl, mix together 1 cup sugar and 1/3 cup flour. In another bowl whisk together eggs, sour cream, and vanilla until blended, then stir into sugar-flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Pour over raspberries.
- For the topping, mix together brown sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, cinnamon, grated nutmeg, melted butter, and flour together with a fork until it is blended and crumbly. (You can also do this in a food processor using the pulse function.) Scatter over the top of the pie.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, until top is golden. Let cool completely before cutting.
You can make this recipe gluten free by using a gluten free pie crust and swapping the flour for gluten free flour or almond meal.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 368Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 4gSugar: 34gProtein: 5g