This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Adorable mini lemon cakes are dipped in chocolate for a Puss in Boots-inspired treat. This post is brought to you by Netflix.
I’ve had cats my entire life, except for the years pets weren’t allowed in college. While I’ve had other pets as well, those snuggly, cuddly felines have always been my favorite, even when they were squishing my pregnant belly or engaging in some other . . . unsavory behavior.
The two cats we have now are pretty special to us, as my husband and I adopted them a few months after we moved in together. They’ve been with us as we moved across the country, had one child and then another, and now as they are approaching 12 years old they’ve settled into a comfortable existence of sleeping in all the best spots (including the changing table).
This month Netflix is celebrating furry friends with its release of the new The Adventures of Puss in Boots series. Based on the popular character from the Shrek series, this new series continues the enduring story of the swashbuckling feline. I remember loving the original story when I was a child, and my kids enjoy this new version just as much.
In honor of the release, I wanted to create a special treat to enjoy. The tale of Puss in Boots seems to have originated in Italy, and I always associate Italy with lemon. The Italian word for cat, gatto, immediately made me think of French gateau, and so these adorable mini lemon cakes were born.
Dipped in chocolate “boots” reminiscent of the the crafty cat’s, these cakes are wonderful for individual desserts, parties, or even just a sweet snack. You can skip the lemon if you like, but I love the brightness citrus brings to cake, and it plays off chocolate beautifully.
If you don’t have a mini bundt pan, bake these in a greased muffin tin without paper liners and dip the tops, serving them upside-down.
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star review below! It means so much when you enjoy my recipes, so let me know how it goes and leave a comment if you have any questions.
Mini Lemon Cakes with Chocolate
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 Meyer lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 4 ounces bittersweet, 66% chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a mini bundt pan or muffin pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt
- Zest lemon into a large bowl, then cut in half and juice it, removing seeds.
- Add sugar and eggs to lemon and whisk until blended.
- Whisk in olive oil and milk, then stir in flour mixture for a smooth batter.
- Fill bundt cups 3/4 full.
- Bake 22-25 minutes, until edges are lightly browned. Let cool in pan 1 minute, then turn out onto a rack. Let cool.
- Once the cakes are cooled, melted chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until smooth.
- Dip cake bottoms into chocolate and place onto a Silpat or waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Place sheet into the fridge until chocolate is set, then serve.
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate based on online calculators. Any nutritional information found on Stetted should be used as a general guideline only.
Disclaimer: This post is part of my yearlong partnership with Netflix as part of their #StreamTeam program.
I focus on fresh ingredients and easy methods, with spins that keep meals interesting. Dinnertime shouldn’t be stressful or complicated, and I’m here to help you enjoy the time spent in the kitchen. Read more…