Zucchini Hummus

I am in awe of anyone who is able to work through the copious amounts of zucchini we are (still!) getting every week in my CSA. Zucchini is one of my favorite vegetables, and yet once we get past a certain point in the season, I find the need to hide it in my food. Night after night, when it comes time to cook dinner, I just can’t seem to bring myself to pull out the zucchini yet again.

Maybe because it’s almost November. Maybe because I am just so tired of these hot weeks that come back to taunt us after a few lucky days of chill. (I’m giddy with the thought of tomorrow’s forecast that promises highs lower than our recent lows.) But come on, zucchini. You speak of summer and long evenings, and here we are with the sun setting early. But you’re no match for me. I’ll get through you yet.

zucchini hummus

This hummus was inspired by a local raw-food restaurant. As it turns out, zucchini hummus is big in the raw-food world, so you can feel extra virtuous eating it. Plus it helps eliminate that possible bean-on-bean overload you might get from eating things like falafel with hummus. I love the bright flavor, and considering I have zucchini on hand more often than chickpeas, this might be my new go-to dip-slash-spread.

When you are selecting zucchini to use, in this recipe size doesn’t matter. However, if using a larger squash, discard the seeded center and use only the outer part. You can peel if you like, but I like the flecks of color the skin adds to the hummus. Also, feel free to kick back the garlic to one clove, especially if your cloves are large or you’re not a fan of its strong flavor.

zucchini hummus

Zucchini Hummus
makes approximately 1 cup

2 cups diced zucchini
2 cloves garlic
3 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt

Blitz everything together in a food processor until smooth.

The zucchini will create excess liquid, so be sure to stir the hummus to reincorporate before serving.

11 Responses to Zucchini Hummus

1. aneelee October 26, 2011 at 3:30 pm #

i was all smiles when i opened my CSA this past week – no zucchini! love it, but on month 4 of it …

this looks yummy by the way. ;)

2. hilah October 26, 2011 at 3:42 pm #

This post makes me happy because it sounds delicious, but also sad because I just used the last of my zucchini for dinner yesterday!

3. Chris October 26, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

Since I don’t get a CSA, and I’m in NE where gardens have been, yes, frozen (damnit I hate winter!) I will buy zukes and make this. Maybe tons of it. Less guilt more veggies?

4. The Waspy Redhead October 26, 2011 at 6:10 pm #

Wow, what an interesting idea. I pay as little attention to the raw/vegan/paleo/glutenfree/insert trend here blogs- so I’ve not come across zucchini hummus. Sounds really tasty, I think I’ll give it a shot!

5. Joy October 26, 2011 at 9:15 pm #

Great twist to hummas.

6. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. November 2, 2011 at 7:56 am #

Great idea! I love your guest post on Simple Bites

7. SnoWhite @ Finding Joy in My Kitchen November 2, 2011 at 6:35 pm #

Great idea! I think I’ll try this – we still have zucchini & pulled the last out of our garden about a week or so ago.

8. Barbara | Creative Culinary November 4, 2011 at 11:35 am #

That is a unique and I bet tasty use of zucchini. If only it could be converted to gasoline; when it’s prolific it can drive you a bit crazy!

9. Jamie November 5, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

I am fascinated by this! Hummus made with zucchini? I’ll bet it takes fabulous and what a great way to eat zucchini! Great recipe!

10. Nancy@acommunaltable November 7, 2011 at 11:40 am #

This is a terrific twist on classic hummus and a nice change!!

1. Summer Lovin' Recipe Roundup (& Cook's Country Giveaway!) | stetted - August 29, 2013

[...] Zucchini Hummus [...]